Monday, November 9, 2009

Well I did it...

So even though I still had a pretty bad headache (I think it was a sinus infection), I went and did the triathlon this past Saturday! I had been training so hard and had already paid/registered so I decided to just suck it up and go. I woke up at 4:45 am Saturday morning and made sure I had everything ready. I didn't sleep well at all that night cause I was so worried about Madden and his fever/cough. I checked his temperature 3 times throughout the night and laid by him with a cool washcloth on his head for a while. I felt bad even leaving when I knew he was sick but I knew I wouldn't be gone long and that he was in good hands (my mom and sisters were here to watch him). Me and David got to Casa Grande about 6:15 am and I hooked up with my triathlon partner- my sister in law Heather. I am SO glad she did it with me cause it wouldn't have been as much fun or exciting if I would have been all by myself! Anyway... the race went as follows: a 400m swim, 10.3 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run. The swim was by far the toughest part. I had to teach myself how to swim and I've only been swimming for about 2 months now. David says I swim at a 'snails' pace but I don't care... all that mattered was that I made it through! The bike course was really nice and mostly flat. The run course was slightly uphill for the first mile or so. But anyway it was funny... I got through the finish line and was sure that David would be there to congratulate me and give me a hug but when I looked around I didnt see him at all. I walked around for a little bit, talked to one of my friends that was there, then decided to go back to the bike area to see if he was there. I FINALLY found him as he was about to get in our truck to go look for me. Apparantely he had been waiting at the bike transition area for me to finish the bike course. He had somehow missed me and didn't know I was already done with the race- he thought I was out somewhere on the side of the road. It was pretty funny. Anyway... all in all it was pretty fun and such a big accomplishment for me! My final time for the race was 1hr and 27 minutes. If I ever do one again I am determined to swim faster and will definitely find a road bike to use instead of a mountain bike. Here are some pictures!

After the race:
Now I am trying to figure out what I want my next goal to be... do I want to do another triathlon and try to get a better time or do I want to try for a half marathon? Anyone want to train for something with me? =)

9 comments:

Crandell Memories said...

congrats on finishing it amanda! I just signed up for the ragnar in february... the race from prescott to mesa... i am really scared but it motivates me to read stories like yours and know that i can do it too:)

ron&melz said...

I am SO proud of you - especially taking on the challenge to learn how to swim!! Too bad your parents didn't give you swimming lessons when you were little (ha ha). Not many places to swim in Heber, unless you want to try Willow Springs!! Great job - we love you and hope everyone gets better at your place. MOM T.

Aunt Tiff said...

I say you try sitting on the couch and eating some icecream!!...cause that is what you DESERVE!! WAY TO GO GIRL!!! You are amazing!!

Devin and Danielle Hancock said...

That is so awesome Amanda. I wish I had the motivation to do something like that! You look great.

Deni said...

Another Triathlon!!!

Congratulations. You are now a triathlete. Take care of yourself and don't stop training. The swimming will come. A great book to read is called "Total Immersion" It helped me a lot when I was teaching myself to swim.

debrajo said...

GREAT JOB! You look great, too! Someday I might be as cool as you...I've a long way to go, though, before I ever become a triathlete!

Andalynn said...

Way to go girl! That is so awesome and very inspiring! I have been wanting to do a Triathlon or a half marathon. I would gladly train with you! That is what I need... a motivational partner to push me. LEt me know what your next goal is, I might jump on the band wagon with you!

Ren, Anna & Tristan said...

That is amazing. You should have shared that in our "Good news minute!" Haha!! Good job!!!

Caroline said...

Hey girl its Caroline. You are amazing! You will have to teach me how to juggle it all. I am totally down with training with you!! I need to get back in shape especially after this second kid. I think about you tons. Give me a call and lets figure something out.